Many people regret having missed an
opportunity or let a loving relationship slip through their fingers. I regret the sudden and irrational
destruction of the journals I kept between the ages of nine and twenty-three.
There were over thirty notebooks of
all kinds, ranging from marbled composition books I’d purchased at the 99 Cent
Store to luxurious, embossed leather journals I’d received as gifts, and they
contained thousands of handwritten pages, chronicling everything from letters
to an imaginary childhood friend, to the awe and trepidation I experienced upon
graduating from college and moving to New York City. These journals contained a coming-of-age
story that could only be told by one person, in only one way, and they were
perfect, because they were perfectly ME.
Why, then, did I unceremoniously dump them into a garbage bin one
day?
I wish I had some cogent, relatable
answer. The truth is despicably banal:
in a manic fit of cleaning most likely induced by the reading of a self-help
book - and I am not, by any means, a
neat freak – I decided that getting rid of my old journals would solve all of
my problems. Never mind the piles of
clothes and knick-knacks all over the place; I chose to throw out nearly
fifteen years’ worth of original written material, a capsule of my youth, in
order to make room for – what? More cheap jeans?
Perhaps that box of journals met its
unfortunate end because it presented itself as one large item I could grab and
quickly get rid of; unlike the ubiquitous piles of clothing that required
sorting and a few trips to the Salvation Army, it was something I could easily
tackle. The sick thing is, the horror
and senselessness of what I had done didn’t hit me until months later, long
after the two square feet of closet space I had freed up had been stuffed with
ill-fitting McFashion. To say I wanted
to kick myself would be an understatement.
I felt like I had a hole in my heart.
My one priceless, irreplaceable possession, and I had chucked it like a
greasy sandwich wrapper, without a second thought. As more time passed, my regret was amplified
by the fact that no one with whom I shared my story was able to offer any words
of comfort. Instead, they all agreed
that what I’d done was idiotic.
I wish I could end this on a positive
note of redemption, but the truth is, I’m still very upset and I deeply regret
having discarded those journals. After
my beloved grandmother died last year, I was plagued with thoughts of how many
of her stories, jokes and bits of wisdom I had recorded in those journals and
how desperately I wished I were able to re-read them. Whether or not the journals actually do
contain these sentimental family memories, I cannot now recall. But because I no longer have them, they
necessarily contain everything precious and fleeting about my youth, and they
are irretrievably lost. Left in their
place is a messy closet and a heart heavy with regret.
No comments:
Post a Comment